Deadline dates for applications and receipt of all required application materials are:
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the EdS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Applicants for an Education Specialist (EdS) program must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
Applicants will not be considered for admission until all required documents are received by Graduate Studies.
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, Marriage and Family Counseling, Community Counseling, or a related field.
- Background check. Any candidate applying for admission to a state approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check, including Clinical Mental Health Counseling, through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants should contact Cogent Systems for directions in completing this process.
- Professional resume.
- Three Graduate Reference Forms completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate coursework. Reference forms will be submitted electronically. Instructions for submission will be sent through email to the applicant upon submission of the online graduate application.
- International student applicants must see the International Student Applicants section of this catalog for other application and enrollment requirements.
- Applicants whose packages are complete will be contacted to schedule an appointment for a writing sample and an interview with faculty members of the program.
Admission Requirements for the EdS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Applicants are admitted on a selective basis by the faculty members of the program, upon review of the completed application package.
Minimum Requirements for the EdS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
An overall GPA of 3.25 is required on all coursework attempted for the education specialist degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.25.
Any course completed for the master’s degree may not be repeated or counted for the EdS degree. Graduate courses at the 400 level will not count as credit towards the EdS degree.
|ECG 634||Advanced Counseling Theories||3|
|ECG 637||Advanced Career Counseling||3|
|ECG 691||Action Research Counseling I (to be taken toward the end of the program)||3|
|ECG 692||Action Research in Counseling II (must be taken in the last semester of enrollment)||3|
|ECG 646||Advanced Group Procedures in Counseling||3|
|Select fifteen semester hours by advisement from the following:||15|
|Assessment in Counseling|
|Professional Ethics and Legal Issues|
|Organization and Administration of Counseling Services|
|Introduction to Play Therapy|
|Children and Grief|
|Couple, Marriage and Family Counseling|
|Psychopathology: Diagnosis and Treatment of DSM Disorders|
|Substance and Behavioral Addictions in Counseling|
|Introduction to Student Personnel|
|Issues in Student Personnel|
|Crisis Counseling Intervention Strategies|
|Psychological First Aid & Disaster Counseling|
|Internship in School Counseling|
|Internship in School Counseling|
|Holistic Counseling: Spirit, Soul and Body|
|Supervision in Counseling|
|Psychological Principles of Learning|
|Leadership in Education|
|Survey Course in Special Education|
30 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
A comprehensive exam is required for this degree; please see the graduate advisor for full details. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.