The School of Education offers Alternative Class A Programs for students who completed a non-teaching degree or for students who want to change teaching fields. Completion of the Alternative Class A program leads to the Master’s degree and recommendation for Master’s-level Alabama Class A professional educator certification.
Deadline dates for applications and receipt of all required application materials are:
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the respective graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the Alternative Class A MSE in Early Childhood Education P-3
Applicants for a master’s degree education program must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama, 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
Applicants must hold a 2.00 GPA1 on the most recent undergraduate degree or a 3.00 GPA on the most recent master’s degree. This GPA must be documented on the official transcript of the degree-granting regionally accredited institution and must be the GPA that was used as the basis for granting the degree.
- If a degree was earned outside the United States, the student must provide a course-by-course and credit hour-by-credit hour degree evaluation prepared by a state-approved agency:
- Center for Applied Research, Evaluation and Education, Inc.
- Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc.
- International Consultants of Delaware
- International Education Evaluations, Inc.
- International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
- Josef Silny and Associates, Inc.
- World Education Services
- Please see the ALSDE website for full details.
- International student applicants must see the International Student Applicants section of this catalog for other application and enrollment requirements.
- Alternative Class A Transcript Evaluation. Once transcripts have been received, applicants must contact Teacher Education Services at (256) 782-5574 for an individual evaluation concerning undergraduate course deficiencies and teacher education program eligibility requirements prior to registration for coursework.
Applicants with below a 2.75 GPA will have additional requirements that will be assessed at the Alternative Class A Transcript Evaluation.
Admission Requirements for the Alternative Class A MSE in Early Childhood Education P-3
Applicants are admitted on a selective basis upon review of the completed application package.
Admission to graduate studies is not equivalent to unconditional admission to an approved teacher education program.
If applicable, all deficiency courses and teacher education program eligibility requirements must be completed prior to unconditional admission to the teacher education program.
Minimum Requirements for the Alternative Class A MSE in Early Childhood Education P-3
An overall 3.25 GPA is required on all coursework attempted for the master’s degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.25.
Students not enrolled for a one year period must receive department head approval before continuing coursework in the program and be re-evaluated by Teacher Education Services.
|ECE 533||Enhancing Learning Through Children's Literature||3|
|ED 501||Introduction to Graduate Teacher Education||3|
|ED 510||Academic Research for the Teacher||3|
|EED 530||Methods for Language and Literacy Development||3|
|EED 550||Diversity in Today's Classroom||3|
|RDG 520||Teaching Reading||3|
|RDG 521||Practicum in Teaching Reading||3|
|RDG 547||Diagnosing Reading Abilities||3|
|ED 595||Internship in Education 1||3|
|ED 596||Reflective Practices in Education||3|
|Teaching Field Requirements|
|ECE 500||Materials and Methods||3|
|ECE 501||Behavior and Development in Early Childhood||3|
|ECE 507||Assessment in Early Childhood Education||3|
|EED 509||Advanced Twenty-First Century Teaching and Learning||3|
|EED 511||Mathematics for Children||3|
|EED 512||Science for Children||3|
|EED 513||Curriculum Integration in Teaching Social Studies||3|
|ECE 530||Practicum for Young Children||3|
|EED 514||Practicum in Content Block||3|
|SPE 500||Survey Course in Special Education 2||3|
|or EED 548||Materials and Methods for the Multicultural Classroom|
|or RDG 530||Methods and Materials for Reading: Teaching Students with Exceptionalities in the Inclusive Setting|
|or SPE 532||Methods and Strategies for Enrichment: Teaching Gifted Students in the Inclusive Classroom|
60 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree.
ED 595 Internship in Education (3) is equivalent to undergraduate student teaching and requires a semester long internship in the public schools. This must be scheduled during the last semester of coursework.
SPE 500 Survey Course in Special Education (3) is required unless SPE 300 Survey of Exceptional Children and Youth (3) was taken at the undergraduate level. If SPE 300 Survey of Exceptional Children and Youth (3) has already been taken at the undergraduate or graduate level, candidates must select EED 548 Materials and Methods for the Multicultural Classroom (3), RDG 530 Methods and Materials for Reading: Teaching Students with Exceptionalities in the Inclusive Setting (3), or SPE 532 Methods and Strategies for Enrichment: Teaching Gifted Students in the Inclusive Classroom (3).
0-48 hours of undergraduate coursework to include the following:
- 12 hours of Laboratory Science
- 12 hours of English/Language Arts
- 12 hours of Social/Behavioral Sciences
- 12 hours of Math
Or pass the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessment.
60-108 Total Undergraduate and Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
No comprehensive exam is required for this degree. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.
Completion of this program leads to eligibility for Master’s-level professional educator certification in Early Childhood Education P-3.
Please Note: Teacher education programs are approved by the Alabama State Board of Education and are, therefore, subject to periodic revision resulting from changes in State certification requirements. Subsequently, modifications in students’ programs may become necessary. Students in all graduate level teacher education programs must schedule their coursework each semester with approval of their faculty advisors.
Alabama Class A Professional Educator Certification Requirements
Issuance of Alabama professional educator certificates is the legal responsibility of the Alabama State Department of Education. Universities cannot issue a professional certificate. To be eligible to apply for certification, a student must complete an appropriate program of study at a college or university which has been approved by the State Board of Education to offer a program leading to the desired certificate. When a student completes the program of study, the institution recommends to the State Department of Education that the appropriate certificate be issued.
- Alabama State Department of Education regulations are subject to change; therefore, it is recommended that students apply for certification upon graduation. During their last semester of coursework, students should contact Teacher Education Services, 207 Ramona Wood Hall, for information about this process. The university cannot recommend any student for certification who has not satisfied all state and university requirements for admission to and completion of an approved program. Please see the Alabama Certification Instructions on the Teacher Education Services website.
- Recommendation for certification must be made within 60 months of program completion. Recommendation after 60 months requires completion of a current program.