The chief objective of the Master of Science (MS) with a major in Sport Management is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to meet the demands of the job market in the sport industry.
Deadline dates for applications and receipt of all required application materials are:
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the MS in Sport Management (Professional Educator Certification)
Applicants for a master’s degree education program must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama, 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Valid Bachelor’s-level professional educator certificate in any area of education. All certificate(s) must be valid throughout the program and at graduation.
- Background check1. Any candidate applying for admission to a state approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants should contact Cogent Systems for directions in completing this process.
- Applicants must have completed a minimum of two full years of full-time teaching experience in a P-12 setting prior to admission to the program and will document their educational experience on the state-approved Supplemental EXP Form. Applicants should contact their superintendent’s office/central office for completion of this form.
If the candidate holds a valid Alabama professional educator certificate and has already completed a background check through that process, another background check will not be required.
- Applicants may be eligible for unconditional admission to the program with a GPA on the initial undergraduate degree of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
- Applicants who fail to meet the 2.75 GPA requirement for unconditional admission will be admitted as conditional admission to the program.
Applicants who are granted conditional admission must achieve a GPA of at least 3.00 on the first 12 graduate hours attempted. Failure to meet these conditions will result in the student being dropped from graduate studies.
Admissions Requirements for the MS in Sport Management (Professional Educator Certification)
Applicants are admitted on a selective basis by the faculty members of the program, upon review of the completed application package.
Minimum Requirements for the MS in Sport Management (Professional Educator Certification)
An overall 3.25 GPA is required on all coursework attempted for the master’s degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.25.
|HPE 537||Diversity Issues and Trends in Wellness and Sport Studies||3|
|HPE 540||Law and Ethics in Wellness and Sports Studies||3|
|HPE 563||Sport Finance||3|
|HPE 564||Human Resources Management in Sport||3|
|HPE 566||Public and Media Relations in Sport||3|
|HPE 567||Sport Facility Administration and Design||3|
|HPE 568||Administration of Athletics||3|
|HPE 576||Sport Marketing||3|
|HPE 586||Sport Promotion and Event Planning||3|
|HPE 591||Internship in Sport Management||3|
|Special Education Requirement||0-3|
|Survey Course in Special Education 1|
30-33 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500 Survey Course in Special Education (3).
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
A comprehensive exam is required for this degree; please see the graduate advisor for full details. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.
Completion of this program leads to eligibility for Master’s-level professional educator certification in Sport Management.
Please Note: Teacher education programs are approved by the Alabama State Board of Education and are, therefore, subject to periodic revision resulting from changes in State certification requirements. Subsequently, modifications in students’ programs may become necessary. Students in all graduate level teacher education programs must schedule their coursework each semester with approval of their faculty advisors.
Alabama Class A Professional Educator Certification Requirements
Issuance of Alabama professional educator certificates is the legal responsibility of the Alabama State Department of Education. Universities cannot issue a professional certificate. To be eligible to apply for certification, a student must complete an appropriate program of study at a college or university which has been approved by the State Board of Education to offer a program leading to the desired certificate. When a student completes the program of study, the institution recommends to the State Department of Education that the appropriate certificate be issued.
- Alabama State Department of Education regulations are subject to change; therefore, it is recommended that students apply for certification upon graduation. During their last semester of coursework, students should contact Teacher Education Services, 207 Ramona Wood Hall, for information about this process. The university cannot recommend any student for certification who has not satisfied all state and university requirements for admission to and completion of an approved program. Please see the Alabama Certification Instructions on the Teacher Education Services website.
- Students certified in states other than Alabama who wish to apply for master’s level certification in Alabama upon completion of the master’s degree must apply for Alabama certification on the undergraduate level prior to applying for the master’s level certification. Students must be eligible for undergraduate certification in the teaching field(s) in which master’s level certification is sought. Earning a master’s degree at JSU does not automatically entitle a student to an Alabama certificate without first holding the appropriate undergraduate certificate.
- Recommendation for certification must be made within 60 months of program completion. Recommendation after 60 months requires completion of a current program.