Deadline dates for applications and receipt of all required application materials are:
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the MS with a Major in Emergency Management
Applicants for the MS with a major in Emergency Management must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- A statement of purpose/interest that shows why the MS degree is important to the applicant, what the applicant will bring to the program, and how the degree will benefit the applicant’s career aspirations.
- A professional resume including academic history, employment, and voluntary/community work.
- International student applicants must see the International Student Applicants section of this catalog for other application and enrollment requirements.
Admission Requirements for the MS with a Major in Emergency Management
A particular undergraduate major is not specified for admission to the program. Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
- Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 3.00 or higher will be unconditionally admitted.
- Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of 2.50 to 2.99 will be conditionally admitted.
- Any applicant failing to meet the requirement for unconditional admission may be conditionally admitted with the recommendation of the graduate faculty in the applicant’s major.
Applicants who are granted conditional admission must achieve a GPA of at least 3.00 on the first 12 graduate hours attempted. Failure to meet these conditions will result in the student being dropped from graduate studies.
Minimum Requirements for the MS with a Major in Emergency Management
An overall 3.00 GPA is required on all coursework attempted for the master’s degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.00.
A total of 30 graduate semester hours is required for the degree with 21 required hours of emergency management courses and nine hours of approved emergency management electives.
|Required Emergency Management Courses|
|EM 505||Foundations of Emergency Management||3|
|EM 525||Disaster Recovery||3|
|EM 530||Research Methods in Emergency Management||3|
|EM 540||Hazard Mitigation||3|
|EM 545||Emergency Preparedness||3|
|EM 555||Disaster Response||3|
|EM 590||Capstone in Emergency Management||3|
|Select nine hours of the following: 1||9|
|Disasters and the Media|
|Legal Aspects of Emergency Management|
|Exercise Design and Evaluation|
|Advanced Radiological Incident Operations|
|Terrorism and Homeland Security|
|Vulnerability and Capacity-Building|
|Management Systems in Disaster|
|Crisis Management for Business and Industry|
|Medical Aspects of Emergency Management|
|Healthcare Leadership for All Hazards Incidents|
|Advanced Public Information Officer for Health and Hospital Emergencies|
|Current Issues in Homeland Security|
|Emergency Management Leadership and Organizational Behavior|
30 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Elective courses should be based on student interest and career objectives and are to be chosen from any 500 level emergency management elective offerings at JSU.
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
No comprehensive exam is required for this degree. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.