Deadline dates for applications and receipt of all required application materials are :
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the EdS in Physical Education P-12
Applicants for an Education Specialist (EdS) program must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
Applicants will not be considered for admission until all required documents are received by Graduate Studies.
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35. 00 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Valid Master’s-level professional educator certificate in Physical Education. ALL certificate(s) must be valid throughout the program and at graduation.
- Background check1. Any candidate applying for admission to a state approved teacher education program shall be required to be fingerprinted for a criminal history background check through the Alabama State Department of Education to the Alabama Bureau of Investigation (ABI) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Applicants should contact Cogent Systems for directions in completing this process.
- Three Graduate Reference Forms completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate coursework. Reference forms will be submitted electronically. Instructions for submission will be sent through email to the applicant upon submission of the online graduate application.
- International student applicants must see the International Student Applicants section of this catalog for other application and enrollment requirements.
If the candidate holds a valid Alabama professional educator certificate and has already completed a background check through that process, another background check will not be required.
Admission Requirements for the EdS in Physical Education P-12
Applicants are admitted on a selective basis by the faculty members of the program, upon review of the completed application package.
With departmental approval, applicants may be permitted to enroll for one semester of graduate coursework while completing general application procedure requirements.
Minimum Requirements for the EdS in Physical Education P-12
An overall GPA of 3.50 is required on all coursework attempted for the education specialist degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.50.
Any course completed for the master’s degree or for master’s level professional educator certification may not be repeated or counted for the EdS degree. Graduate courses at the 400 level will not count as credit towards the EdS degree.
|Leadership in Education|
|Measurement and Evaluation in Education|
|Contemporary Challenges in Multicultural Education|
|Advanced Research in Education I|
|Advanced Research in Education II 2|
|Survey Course in Special Education 3|
Any 500 or 600 level course with EIM prefix
|Select twelve graduate semester hours in physical education courses 4||12|
30-34 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Students who did not take ED 500 Introduction to Graduate Education and Technology (1) [discipline specific section] as a master’s student at JSU are required to take the course as part of their EdS program. Required in the first semester of enrollment.
Must be taken in the last semester of enrollment.
Students who have not previously satisfied the special education requirement at the undergraduate or graduate level must take SPE 500 Survey Course in Special Education (3).
By faculty advisement, choose 12 graduate semester hours in physical education courses. Graduate courses selected to meet this concentration requirement must be numbered at the 500 or 600 levels.
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
A comprehensive exam is required for this degree; please see the graduate advisor for full details. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.
Completion of this program leads to eligibility for Education Specialist professional educator certification in Physical Education (P-12).
Please Note: Teacher education programs are approved by the Alabama State Board of Education and are, therefore, subject to periodic revision resulting from changes in State certification requirements. Subsequently, modifications in students’ programs may become necessary. Students in all graduate level teacher education programs must schedule their coursework each semester with approval of their faculty advisors.
Alabama Class AA Professional Educator Certification Requirements
Issuance of Alabama professional educator certificates is the legal responsibility of the Alabama State Department of Education. Universities cannot issue a professional certificate. To be eligible to apply for certification, a student must meet all required admission criteria and complete a program of study at a college or university that has been approved by the State Board of Education to offer a program leading to the desired certificate. When a student completes the program of study, the institution recommends to the State Department of Education that the appropriate certificate be issued.
- Alabama State Department of Education regulations are subject to change; therefore, it is recommended that students apply for certification upon graduation. During their last semester of coursework, students should contact Teacher Education Services, 207 Ramona Wood Hall, for information about this process. The university cannot recommend any student for certification who has not satisfied all state and university requirements for admission to and completion of an approved program. Please see the Alabama Certification Instructions on the Teacher Education Services website.
- Students certified in states other than Alabama who wish to apply for certification in Alabama upon completion of the education specialist degree must apply for Alabama certification on the undergraduate and master’s levels prior to applying for the education specialist level certification. Earning an education specialist degree at JSU does not automatically entitle a student to an Alabama certificate without first holding the appropriate undergraduate and master’s certificates from Alabama.
- Recommendation for certification must be made within 60 months of program completion. Recommendation after 60 months requires completion of a current program.