The Doctor of Nursing Practice is a terminal degree in nursing that prepares Registered Nurses (RNs) and Nurse Practitioners (NPs) to practice at the highest level of the profession. The BSN-DNP Nurse Practitioner track prepares students to take the appropriate certification exam at completion of the program of study.
Applicants for the Doctor of Nursing Practice are considered for admission for the fall semester only, and all required application materials must be received in Graduate Studies by March 15.
|March 15||Fall Admission|
Applications completed after March 15 will be considered for admission in the fall semester of the following year.
Application Materials Required for the BSN-DNP Program in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Applicants for the BSN-DNP program must submit all of the following documentation to Graduate Studies to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35 application processing fee.
- Official transcript with degree posted, documenting the BSN degree from a regionally accredited institution with a professionally accredited nursing program. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Unencumbered RN license in the U.S.
- Overall GPA of 3.00 or higher on a 4.00 scale.
- Professional resume [curriculum vitae (CV)].
- Completed Experience Form.
- Three Professional References. Reference forms will be submitted electronically. Instructions for submission will be sent through email to the applicant upon submission of the online graduate application.
- Professional interview and/or writing sample may be required.
- No additional qualifying exam (GRE, MAT).
Admission Requirements for the BSN-DNP Program in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Applicants are admitted on a selective basis upon review of the completed application package.
The DNP program does not accept transfer credits from other institutions; accordingly, 100% of the credits for the DNP degree will be earned at JSU.
- Completion of courses required for the selected pathway: 69 credit hours must be completed for the BSN-DNP.
- Completion of supervised academic program practice hours: 1330 hours must be completed for the BSN-DNP.
- Satisfactory completion of DNP project and paper.
- Satisfactory completion of professional electronic portfolio.
- Satisfactory completion of comprehensive exam for the BSN-DNP specialty tracks.
Progression and Retention
DNP students must maintain a 3.00 GPA. If the GPA falls below 3.00, student will be placed on academic probation per policy of the Office of Graduate Studies. A maximum of two courses with a grade of "C" may be counted toward degree completion and graduation. However, only one C is permitted in a support or specialty course. A second C in a support or specialty course must be repeated. A course may be repeated only once. A student earning a third C or lower may be dismissed from the DNP program.
Minimum Requirements for the BSN-DNP Program in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
An individual plan of study is provided from the Director of Student Services at time of admission.
|NU 607||Advanced Health Assessment||3|
|NU 613||Physio-Pathological Basis of Advanced Nursing||3|
|NU 620||Pharmacology for Advanced Practice Nurses||3|
|ANP 668||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP I||3|
|ANP 669||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP Practicum I (70 Clinical Paracticum Hours )||1|
|ANP 671||Health Promotion/Disease Prevention and Issues for AGANP||2|
|ANP 672||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP II||3|
|ANP 673||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP Practicum II (210 Clinical Hours )||3|
|ANP 674||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP III||3|
|ANP 675||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP Practicum III (210 Clinical Hours )||3|
|ANP 676||Advanced Adult-Gerontology Acute NP IV||3|
|ANP 677||Advance Adult-Gerontology Acute NP Practicum IV (210 Clinical Hours )||3|
|NU 702||BSN-DNP Online Orientation||0|
|NU 707||Scientific Underpinnings of Advanced Nursing Practice||3|
|NU 708||Evidence-Based Practice and Quality Improvement in Healthcare||3|
|NU 710||Health Care Policy and Finance||3|
|NU 711||Biostatistics and Translating Evidence||3|
|NU 712||Clinical Prevention and Population Health||3|
|NU 713||Organizational and Systems Leadership for the Advanced Practice Nurse||3|
|NU 715||Innovation Leadership and Collaboration in Healthcare||3|
|NU 716||Interprofessional Health Care and Informatics||3|
|ANP 796||Adult Gerontology Acute NP Project Planning and Development||3|
|ANP 797||Adult Gerontology Acute NP Residency I (210 Practicum Hours )||3|
|ANP 798||Adult Gerontology Acute NP Residency II (210 Practicum Hours )||3|
|ANP 799||Adult Geronotolgy Acute NP Residency III (210 Practicum Hours )||3|
69 Doctoral Semester Hours Required for this Degree
All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.