Accelerated Senior Privilege allows a student who has completed 96 hours toward an undergraduate degree to take up to twelve (12) graduate hours of coursework during his, her, or their final undergraduate year, with a maximum of six (6) graduate credit hours in a semester. Accelerated Senior Privilege will also be extended to a student within 24 semester hours of completing his, her, or their undergraduate degree at other colleges and universities, provided all conditions specified below are met. The following programs are not eligible for Accelerated Senior Privilege: Master of Social Work, Master of Science in Applied Behavior Analysis, Master of Science in Nursing, Master's in Athletic Training, and graduate certificates in Nursing Education and Emergency Preparedness Nursing Coordinator. Students majoring in early childhood, elementary, special, or secondary education must receive approval from their advisor and department head prior to applying for Accelerated Senior Privilege.
A senior may apply to Graduate Studies for Accelerated Senior Privilege by submitting the following items to:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35.00 application processing fee.
- A Verification Form completed by the academic advisor or certification officer of the college of the student’s undergraduate major and approved by the graduate program advisor of the program in which the course is offered should be submitted to Graduate Studies which verifies the following:
- The student holds an overall GPA of 3.00 and a GPA of 3.00 in the undergraduate major;
- The student is within 24 semester hours of successfully completing undergraduate degree requirements.
The Verification Form can be found online on the Graduate Studies Admissions website.
In addition, the following restrictions are placed on accelerated senior privilege:
- The student may take no more than twelve (12) semester hours of graduate level courses prior to the completion of all undergraduate degree requirements. The student will not be allowed to register for additional graduate level courses until all undergraduate degree requirements have been met;
- The student must not exceed a total course load (undergraduate and graduate) of 15 semester hours in the fall and spring and 9 semester hours in each of the summer terms. Any exception to this regulation must be approved by the department head and the Dean of Graduate Studies;
- The student must provide all application materials for the desired graduate program to Graduate Studies, and be accepted, prior to the end of the semester of senior privilege and prior to pre-registering or registering for further coursework; and
- The student must complete all graduate-level courses with a grade of "B" or better to continue utilizing Accelerated Senior Privilege.