The chief objective of the Master of Science (MS) with a major in Sport Management (non-professional educator certification) is to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to meet the demands of the job market in the sport industry.
Deadline dates for application and receipt of all required application materials:
|July 1||Fall Admission|
|November 1||Spring Admission|
|April 1||Summer Admission|
Any exceptions to these deadlines must be granted by the graduate program chair.
Application Materials Required for the MS with a Major in Sport Management (Non-Professional Educator Certification)
All of the following documents must be submitted to Graduate Admissions to be considered for admission:
Jacksonville State University
700 Pelham Road North
Jacksonville, Alabama 36265-1602
- Completed JSU Graduate Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $35 application processing fee.
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities with degrees posted. (Students who have previously attended JSU do not need to request a transcript from the university.)
- Three Graduate Reference Forms completed by individuals who can provide qualitative assessment of the applicant’s potential for success in graduate coursework. Reference forms will be submitted electronically. Instructions for submission will be sent through email to the applicant upon submission of the online graduate application.
- A professional curriculum vita or resume.
- A letter of application explaining the applicant’s interest in the field of sport management and delineating the applicant’s career goals.
- Official scores for the General Test of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) will be required if the undergraduate degree posted GPA is below 2.75.
- International student applicants must see the International Student Applicants section of this catalog for other application and enrollment requirements.
Admission Requirements for the MS with a Major in Sport Management (Non-Professional Educator Certification)
Admission to the non-certification concentration does not require bachelor’s-level professional educator certification.
Applicants who meet the general admission requirements to graduate studies are eligible for admission to the MS with a major in sport management (non-professional educator certification). All applications are reviewed by Sport Management graduate faculty for admission approval into the program. A particular undergraduate major is not specified for admission to this program; however, a related field is recommended.
- Applicants may be eligible for unconditional admission to the program with a GPA on the initial undergraduate degree of at least 2.75 on a 4.00 scale.
- Applicants who fail to meet the 2.75 GPA requirement for unconditional admission may be eligible for conditional admission to the program with a GRE mean score equal to or greater than 145 OR a MAT score equal to or greater than 375.
- The GRE or MAT scores must be on file at JSU prior to consideration of program acceptance.
Applicants who are granted conditional admission must achieve a GPA of at least 3.00 on the first 12 graduate hours attempted. Failure to meet these conditions will result in the student being dropped from graduate studies.
Minimum Requirements for the MS with a Major in Sport Management (Non-Professional Educator Certification)
An overall 3.00 GPA is required on all coursework attempted for the master’s degree. Transfer credit cannot be used to raise the GPA to the required 3.00.
Upon completion of the required 30 hours of coursework, students must pass a comprehensive examination. Accommodations will be made to support students with either onsite or offsite qualifying exam administration. Students should contact the graduate program faculty about dates of comprehensive exams.
|HPE 525||Issues and Trends in Athletics||3|
|or HPE 537||Diversity Issues and Trends in Wellness and Sport Studies|
|HPE 540||Law and Ethics in Wellness and Sports Studies||3|
|HPE 563||Sport Finance||3|
|HPE 564||Human Resources Management in Sport||3|
|HPE 566||Public and Media Relations in Sport||3|
|HPE 567||Sport Facility Administration and Design||3|
|HPE 568||Administration of Athletics||3|
|HPE 576||Sport Marketing||3|
|HPE 586||Sport Promotion and Event Planning||3|
|HPE 591||Internship in Sport Management||3|
|or HPE 592||Internship in Sport Marketing and Administration|
30 Graduate Semester Hours Required for this Degree
Graduation and Comprehensive Exam
A comprehensive exam is required for this degree; please see the graduate advisor for full details. All students must apply for graduation by the given deadline of the semester in which they plan to graduate. Please see the Graduation and Comprehensive Exam section of this catalog for more information.